Tuesday 14 September 2010

At War With The Mystics

[Something good is happening on the 16th of October - details to come soon]

I just got back from Bestival and I've gotta say, I had a hoot! I wont bore you with all the details, there was way to much cool junk for me to mention it all, but here are some of my choice cuts:

Chilly Gonzales
I was banging on about him not long ago and do you know what? I was right. You know when you go to a house party and some fuck gets out their guitar, and you think "What a bell end, I was listening to the Mr T rap!" Well imagine that the guitar is a piano, and that fuck is actually pretty awesome. Well, that's a little bit like Chilly, sort of. What I mean to say is his show was a chaotic disco piano masterpiece. At one point he stood on the piano and played it with his feet and it still sounded good. He finished with this track: (You may recognise it from the iPad adverts, which Chilly pointed out is an anagram of Paid)


Fever Ray
This was the most mysterious gig I've I ever been to. The stage was completely covered in smoke for the entire show, with Fever Ray lurking at the back for most of the time. A few lasers and Nan's livingroom lapshades provided the only light in the tent. When Fever Ray finally came forwards into the light she was covered by a bizarre mask. The magical rolling base and ethereal scandinavian vocals couldn't have been more calming after losing my mind in the madness of The Prodigy crowd.


The Flaming Lips
These guys have been around for a while now and I think they have spent most of that time perfecting their live show. I haven't heard anything new from them for a while, but who cares when they have such a good back catalogue. Their 1997 album Zaireeka was sold on four CDs, which needed to be played on four seperate hi-fis at the same time, luckily nothing that complicated was required to enjoy their show at Bestival. As ever they were fantastic and psycadelic.

No comments:

Post a Comment